Half-Marathon Thoughts

I have a confession.

I was debating not doing my half-marathon this Sunday.

Terrible! I know. But with everything going on (hubby graduating ranger school, finding out we are moving a month sooner than expected, finding out about upcoming deployment, TERRIBLE Georgia heat), I convinced myself for a while that it would be okay to ditch it. I even had several friends tell me that it was okay to not do it.

And really, it would have been.

But I need to do it. Even if I run slower than I did last year, I will hate myself less than if I totally didn't do it. Because I trained for it. I paid $80 for it. And dangit, I want my shirt and finisher's medal. And I'm going to have fun, whether I run a PR or not. (I'll just have more fun if I run the PR)

What that means: I need to leave Georiga a day earlier. Leave the sweet slowness of the South and return to busy Chicago to pack. Leave sleeping in, cooking good food, and movie cuddling to return to my lonely empty apartment. My cat isn't even there right now because she's staying with my in-laws.

So I'll be on the road for 2 days to wake up and run a half-marathon on Sunday.

A verse caught my eye the other day:
"God, not your marital status, defines your life." -1 Corinthians 7:17, The Message

I'm not an Army Wife.

I'm not a Runner.

Well.. I am both those things. But firstly, I'm a child of God, saved by Grace. And that's really the only definition that matters.

And it weird as it sounds, that's another reason why I need to run this race. This is what I trained for all those months that James was away. This is how I stayed together, focused, and how I got out of bed in the morning. I always feel so close to God when I run and that's something that kept me going. And even though it means leaving James a little earlier, he'll join me in Chicago about a week later. We'll pack everything up, head toward Seattle, and we'll begin this next chapter of our lives together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communication During Ranger School: A Recap

Ranger Care Package & Florida Update

MilSO Care Package: Deployment Survival Kit